We get asked often about what exactly a Sump Pump is and how it can protect your Pittsburgh area basement from flooding. So today we took some time to explain in this blog post what it is and why you may need one…
What is a Sump Pump?
First, let’s define what a sump pump is. Essentially, a sump pump is a device that removes excess water from your home. It’s usually installed in the lowest part of your home, like a basement or crawl space, in a specialized pit called a sump pit or sump basin.
When the water level in the sump pit rises too high—typically because of heavy rain or melting snow—the sump pump springs into action. It pumps the water out of the pit and away from your home to keep your basement dry and protect your home’s foundation.
Why Does My Home Need a Sump Pump?
You might be thinking, “Well, that’s great, but why does my home need one?” If you’re living in Pittsburgh or surrounding areas, there are a few reasons why having a sump pump can be critical.
- Heavy Rain and Snow: Pittsburgh is known for its diverse weather, which often means heavy rain and snow. These conditions can cause water to pool around the foundation of your home and potentially seep into your basement or crawl space. A sump pump will help to prevent that.
- High Water Table: The geography of our area means that many Pittsburgh homes are built on a high water table. This can lead to issues with groundwater seeping into your home, particularly during periods of significant rainfall.
- Protecting Your Home’s Value: Water damage is not just a nuisance; it can also significantly decrease the value of your home. A wet basement can lead to mold growth and structural damage, which are red flags for potential buyers.
- Insurance Purposes: In some cases, having a sump pump can even reduce the cost of your homeowner’s insurance. Check with your insurance company to see if they offer any incentives or discounts.
- Peace of Mind: Last, but not least, having a sump pump gives you peace of mind. You can rest easy knowing that your home is protected from potential water damage, even when you’re not there to monitor it.
How Can Dr. Dry Help?
We have over 20 years of experience in basement waterproofing and foundation repair across the Pittsburgh area. Let us answer any additional questions you may have about Pittsburgh sump pump installation services.